måndag 16 maj 2011

110516 - Smoke-detectors and Americium

Americium from smoke-detectors, of course not the whole piece is Americium.

The easiest way to get some radioactive material to start with, is to take apart smoke-detectors. Smoke-detectors is now more replaced with the optical variant, but in the ionizing type there is a small amount of Americium (Am-241), an α-emitter with a half-life of 432 years.

The Americium-piece lie on about 37 kBq, 37 000 bequerel. The background-radiation is on about 35 Bq. But for my project you need much, much more. About 100 of smoke-detectors. But later I will try another material, instead of getting so many smoke-detectors

2 kommentarer:

  1. I have been reading a lot of blogs lately to get different ideas for my own blog. It is refreshing to read different Blogs to get a new perspective from different sources. In the never ending sea of blogs it is not always easy to see why some blogs perform well in searches while others are harder to find. Since I started my new blog, SEO Blogspot I have been checking other blogs like yours to find different ways of optimizing websites. My website is aimed to help beginners and I see your website is doing quite well and I was hoping you may like to share a few tips to help others new bloggers get started.
    I wish you all the best and keep up the good work. Thank you allowing me the the privilege of reading your blog.

  2. In modern society, the lab glass reactor has important effects on many ways. Here: www.toption-china.com/products/lab-glass-reactor. Actually, this equipment is sometimes called ultrasonic cell grinder under many situations. At present, a lot of ultrasonic equipment suppliers begin to supply amount of related products. In fact, most people may not very unfamiliar with this product.